Joseph Clair (1889-1971) Originator of the famous Domaine Clair-Daü which was founded in Marsannay in 1919. After the First World War, the Burgundian vineyards were in a deplorable state and large areas were abandoned. Joseph Clair encouraged the wine growers of Marsannay to pull up the vines of gamay and white aligoté and to replant the vineyards in pinot noir and chardonnay, nobler types of grape varieties.
He is also responsible for the creation of a rosé wine made from pinot noir, the Rosé de Marsannay, which made it possible for many wine growers to survive, and even to thrive, in those difficult times since the red wines were not selling well and selling at prices which are hardly enough to sustain the growers. Marsannay is the only Burgundian appellation to produce rosé, white and red wines
Founded the domaine which bears his name in 1979.
The domaine at that time included plots in Marsannay and Fixin, the Dominode vineyard in Savigny-les-Beaune, and a large plot lying fallow in Morey-St.-Denis - "En la Rue de Vergy. He is the son of Bernard Clair (1920-2005) and the grandson of Joseph Clair (1889-1971), originator of the famous Domaine Clair-Daü which was founded in Marsannay in 1919.
Following Joseph's death, family disagreements led to the dismantling of the Domain Clair-Daü in 1985. In 1986, Bruno was entrusted with the vineyards of his parents, brothers and sisters which included those of Clos de Bèze, Cazetiers, Clos St-Jacques, Vosne-Romanée, Clos du Fonteny and Chambolle-Musigny. More vineyards were purchased by the estate in 1993, inlcuding Corton-Charlemagne, Pernand-Vergelesses and Aloxe-Corton, and in 1996 Gevrey-Chambertin Petite Chapelle was added to bring the size of the domaine to more than 23 hectares (56.8326 acres). Bruno Clair cultivates, harvests and bottles his wines with the assistance of André Geoffroy and Philippe Brun. Domaine Bruno Clair is a member of the Association des Domaines Familiaux de Tradition.
Bernard Clair (1920-2005)
Joseph's son, Bernard joined Domaine Clair-Daü in 1939 and the two formed one of the most prestigious wine estates of Burgundy, with the cultivation of more than 38 ha (93.90008 acres) of vineyards located in the finest named vineyards of the Côte de Nuits: Chambertin Clos de Bèze, Bonnes-Mares, Musigny, Clos St-Jacques, Clos Vougeot, and of a superb old vineyard in Savigny-les-Beaune, la Dominode. Bernard also made his mark in the selection and cultivation of the finest seedlings of pinot noir and chardonnay - vines of high quality and low yield - which paved the way for the wine growers of today.