Name: Dominique Gruhier Address: Épineuil (France) Web Site: www.bourgognevin.com/en
In a favorite land for viticulture, the Cistercian monks of the nearby Abbey of Quincy built in 1133 took advantage of a donation by Pierre de Courtenay to establish their residence there in 1212.
The place was later christened in the 13th century as " Petit Quincy "", later as "" The Abbey of Petit Quincy "" and finally as "" The Castle of Épineuil "". In 1568, the knight of Andelot, a neighboring Huguenot, ordered the putting to death of Quincy Abbey; the abbey miraculously survived. In 1791, following the French revolution, the Abbey was sold as a national asset and the buildings were turned into a stone quarry.
The exploitation of the Abbey continued until the end of 1800, when the advent of phylloxera temporarily interrupts the cultivation of the vine. In 1990 the Gruhier family began the restoration of this magnificent property that had been renovated in the 18th century, a work that will last for the next 20 years. In 2010 the Domaine began the process of conversion to organic farming and in 2012 the 800th anniversary of the estate was celebrated.