Name: Mirafiore Start-up year: 1858 Cultivated hectares: 25 Winemaker name: Giorgio Lavagna Address: Via Alba, 15 - Serralunga d'Alba (CN) Web Site: www.mirafiore.it
The name Mirafiore was born in the XVII century, when Carlo Emanuele di Savoia had a palace and a beautiful garden built south of Turin, in a place called Milleflorum, alluding to the great quantity of flowers cultivated.
The true history of the company dates back to 1878, when "E" stood for Emanuele, Count of Mirafiore and Fontanafredda, the natural son of Vittorio Emanuele II and Bela Rosin, who in 1878 transformed the company from a farm to a wine shop with the brand Casa E. di Mirafiore. After various vicissitudes, in 1932 the company went bankrupt and was sold to Monte dei Paschi di Siena with all of Fontanafredda, while the Mirafiore brand was bought by the Gancia di Canelli family.
The managers of the banks invented the Fontanafredda brand and restarted the company and the production of quality wine. In 2009 there is the revival of this ancient company, when Fontanafredda, now owned by Oscar Farinetti, regains the brand Mirafiore, making a good distinction between the two companies while being included in the 122 hectares of the hill of Fontanafredda in Serralunga d'Alba.
The two twin companies share the technical staff and are members of the Associazione Vino Libero (Free Wine Association) where they want to free themselves from chemistry (no pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilizers), excessive packaging, cultural fashions, too much bureaucracy and the tyranny of the distribution chains. All the company's wines are linked to the classic Langhe tradition, that austere, rigorous but gentle, respectful of the grape variety and the territory to which they belong. Mirafiore wines are those wines that, when tasted or brought to the table, always give great pleasure.