Informativa: questo sito utilizza cookie, anche di terze parti, per inviarti pubblicità e servizi in linea con le tue preferenze. Chiudendo questo banner o cliccando qualunque suo elemento acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.
This Port should be served slightly chilled and is also a good compliment to rich pates and fois gras. Good to drink cold as an aperitif or with a mixer. White Port and tonic is a particular favourite on the terrace at La Rosa in the summer whilst nibbling on some home produced roasted almonds. Make it like a gin and tonic together with ice and a slice of lemon. For immediate consumption.
All our ports are made in the ?house style' namely slightly drier without any cloying sweetness that can be associated with some other ports. We also work hard making sure the brandy is well integrated. As with our wines, we search for harmony and equilibrium from our vineyards and we try to enable the grapes to express themselves in the bottle. The La Rosa style is to make well defined wines without too much extraction and tannin.
A first class aperitif wine, a beautiful amber/honey colour, it shows excellent fruit on the palate, but at the same time has a long relatively dry finish.
We practice a sustainable agricultural regime being part of ADVID & SATIVA. We don't use genetically modified organisms nor do we use animal products so vegetarians can drink our wines. We recycle where possible and are HACCP & BRC rated
The first pressings of the white grapes are taken off to be made into white wine. When the pH starts to rise, the last approximately 10% of the juice is drawn off into stainless steel vats, to be made into white port. When the fermenting juice reaches 1º Beaume, brandy is added to stop the fermentation.
The White Port is then stored in small wooden casks and matured in our own lodge at La Rosa. The White Port is blended from stocks held at La Rosa and has an average age of 2-3 years. Unlike most port shippers, all products are stored and bottled in the Douro (at La Rosa and not Porto), allowing full traceability and ensuring quality from grape to bottle.
Address: Pinhao (Portugal)
Web site: http://www.quintadelarosa.com
Year of starter: 1906
Quinta de la Rosa has been in the Bergqvist family since 1906, although they have been in the port trade as shippers under the family name, Feueheerd, since 1815. It currently has around 55 hectares under vine and produces around 50,000 litres of port and 160,000 litres of table wine each year.
Quinta de la Rosa was given as a christening present for Claire Feueheerd, Sophia's grandmother, in 1906. Claire's father, Albert, ran the family port shipping company, Feueheerds. Albert was a real pioneer and was one of the first shippers to make 'Single Quinta' port from La Rosa's grapes. He was repsonsible for building Vale do Inferno's vineyards with some of the highest, most impressive walls in the Douro. He also built an adega with 8 lagares and started buying grapes in from local producers and making port at La Rosa. This enabled Albert to retain the quality in production. At this time, most port was made by small farmers in their own lagares.
Unfortunately Albert ran into difficulties due to the Depression and the company, Feueheerds was sold in the 1930s to Barros. However, Quinta de la Rosa was kept in the family and was run by Sophia's grandmother, Claire. Claire just grew grapes and sold them to Crofts and latterly to go into Sandeman's Rebello Valente port. In 1988 Sophia and her father, Tim Bergqvist, decided to restart the family business and launched Quinta de la Rosa as a top quality port producer onto the market place.
Starting in the early 1990s, the Bergqvist famuly were one of the pioneers in taking red wine production in the Douro region seriously. Quinta de la Rosa's wines, both red and white, have won many accolades in the press and are sold in many prestigious restaurants and wine stores around the world. See NEWS AND AWARDS. Since 2002, Jorge Moreira, one of the finest wine makers in Portugal, has been making wines at La Rosa.
Quinta de la Rosa is situated in Northern Portugal, 100kms inland from Oporto. It is set in the heart of the Alto Douro ‘A’ grade port growing area and is located along the banks of the river, near Pinhão.